When most people think of Florida they instantly think Disney World, however Florida and Orlando are way more than just Disney World.
A very high number of tourists visit Florida every year, specifically Orlando, but the majority don’t make the most out of their time there. There is so much more to do in Orlando than just visit theme parks. The typical holiday to Orlando will consist of a family staying in a theme park apartment for example Disney World hotels, Seaward hotels or Universal hotels. They then spend two weeks going to all the theme parks, this is perfectly fine if that is the holiday a family wants to go on. This isn’t visiting America or Florida though, it is visiting theme parks which just happen to be situated in Florida but in matter of fact they could be anywhere in the world. I’m not saying people shouldn’t visit theme parks or go to them, I’m saying they should but along with other things.
The best way to see Florida would be to rent a villa outside of Orlando, Miami, Naples (wherever your desired location) and hire a car, this will give you the freedom to travel wherever you wish. A two week holiday plan can have a completely different itinerary, Disney World one day, the beach the next day, shopping another day, Seaworld for a day, alligator jet boat tour another day and so on.
There are so many thing to do in Florida apart from Disney, an example of things to do in Florida are the following:
- Visit the beaches, Clearwater on the Gulf near Tampa or Cocoa Beach (Atlantic side)
- Visit the theme parks, Disney World, Seaworld, Universal Studios and the Kennedy Space centre
- Take a fishing trip in Naples or Fort Myers, in the bay or deep sea
- Hire a boat for the day and discover private beaches, see dolphins and swim in the ocean on the Gulf Coast
- Go shopping, Orlando has three malls as well as outlets
- Take a jet boat tour to see alligators in the Everglades
- Take a manatee, dolphin or whale spotting tour
- Visit Miami beach
- Go to the Florida keys and drive through the islands and stop at the hidden beaches
- Play golf, Florida is home to some of the best golf courses in the world
- Visit Busch Gardens, the hidden gem theme park in Tampa
- Visit the major cities, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, St Augustine, Naples, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee, Gainesville and Jacksonville
- Visit the beaches in Naples and Fort Myers
As you can see, Florida is more than just theme parks- there are so many different activities on offer and things to do and see. I hope this inspires you to take another look at your Florida vacation itinerary.